Saturday 7 May 2011

Tom Thumb lettuce

I'm not sure how much bigger these lettuces will grow.  They were described as a mini variety on the packet, yet they are growing fairly big already.  I've been picking them as I need them for salads, generally taking the plants that look most crowded, and leaving the bigger plants to continue to grow.

8 week old Tom Thumb lettuce
The other issue we now have is ants.  Thousands of the little sods.  There are little holes in the soil, and ants crawling all over the place.  You can see one on the lettuce above if you look carefully enough!

I don't want to put ant poison down in a veg patch as i don't know the effect it will have on the vegetables, so I'm stuck with them for now.  They don't seem to do any harm (yet), but as soon as they do, I'll need to work out a way to get them to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment