Saturday 14 May 2011

First pathetic crop!

During the week I was reading about thinning carrots, so looking at my first crop of Early Nantes 2 carrots I decided some of them needed some extra space.  I uprooted about 5 seedlings, giving the rest about two inches between each plant. While the small seedlings definitely looked like carrots, they were very very small, about the size of a matchstick each.  We dropped them into a salad, but they pretty much got lost in there!

Here are the first crop, now at 9 weeks old.


The second crop which was sown a month after the first lot, and is shown below.  These are still too close together, so I'll need to think these out in the next week or two I think, but I can't imagine I'll even get the smallest of carrots to eat from these when thinned.

No comments:

Post a Comment