Saturday 4 June 2011

Early Nantes Carrots 12 weeks in and first harvest

It's been 3 months already, and the carrots are showing nice broad shoulders above the soil, so I've been wondering whether to harvest or not.

12 week old early nantes carrots
 Impatience got the better of me and I decided to uproot two carrots to see how they are doing, and they would be able to be added to a salad that evening.  The carrots I picked were the same two shown in the photo above.  There seemed to be quite a lot of carrot there, but I had been stung by the lack of depth of the beetroot, so still was not expecting a decent sized carrot.  Below is the result.

Early nantes carrots just after harvest.
So weirdly, one is short and fat, the other longer, but thinner.  Neither were as big as I was hoping, but they were very nice.

I've left the others in the ground to get a bit bigger.  I'm coming to the conclusion that normal carrots are a bit of a waste in a small vegetable garden as they take a long time, take up a lot of space and are so cheap to buy in the supermarkets that the garden crop is very expensive by comparison.

I'm still holding out more hope for the purple carrots though.

No comments:

Post a Comment